Between efficiency and freedom. Introduction to the economics of algorithmic selection
(Wydział Dziennikarstwa, Informacji i Bibliologii Uniwersytetu Warszawskiego/Faculty of Journalism, Information and Book Studies, University of Warsaw)
Algorithmic selection understood as a process that assigns relevance to information elements of a data set by an automated, statistical assessment of decentralized generated data signals, plays an increasingly important role in communication primarily through social media. The number of goals and tasks filled by different types of functional algorithms significantly impedes the assessment of their impact and importance on individuals and society. The economic benefits of using them are related to threats to basic civil rights, including the right to privacy.
algorithmic selection, transaction costs, efficiency, searching engines, computer applications, social media, right to privacy.
- Economics of the Internet, red. J.M. Bauer, M. Latzer, Cheltenham 2016.
- Fidler R., Mediamorphosis. Uderstanding new media, Thousands Oaks 1997.
- Negroponte N., Cyfrowe życie. Jak odnaleźć się w świecie komputerów, Warszawa 1997.
- Newman N. i in., Reuters Institute Digital News Report 2017, Oxford 2017.
- Piechota G., Reality check – making money with Facebook, Frankfurt 2017.